Monday 18 February 2013

Swungover? We Know The Feeling...

He Goes:

I almost never drink when I'm dancing - for something that energetic the last thing I want is to have no balance or coordination. I guess some people like to have a pint for dutch courage, but mostly I'm not too different from other dancers there.

So what's going on? I've had a great night out, danced my shoes off with some amazing follows, drunk nothing except some lemonade, and yet here I am the next morning: bleary-eyed, parched, aching and cursing the sun. 

Oh, right. I'm swungover.

The little brother of the post-dance blues, more ubiquitous but always late to the party, it really is weirdly like a hangover. A general malaise, proof that no matter how it is you have your good time, you have to pay some sort of bill sooner or later.

I wonder whether part of it is chemical - maybe you just can't keep up that level of enjoyment for that many hours without some sort of crash afterwards. (Maybe I should be eating more food that contains the precursors of endorphins?)

Whether that's true or not, it's definitely part physical part psychological. The aches and pains and bleary eyes are what you'd expect if you (say) exercised for four hours straight and probably didn't drink enough liquids. No mystery there. But they seem worse than they actually are because now all the benefits are in the past. Yesterday me stayed at the social for another hour because there were more follows he wanted to dance with, or more dances to be had with follows he'd already danced with. He wasn't thinking about poor today me, the selfish prick. Today me has no-one to dance with, but he's got all the extra aches and pains that yesterday me racked up (not to mention a little video album of the fun yesterday me was having playing at the back of his head).

In the year 3000 they still Lindy-Hop, but in vintage anti-gravity hoop-clothes.

She Goes:

Urgh, the love/hate feeling I have for being swungover. (I'm swungover as I type this, by the by.)

I spent most of yesterday thinking about, talking about and then finally, actually swinging out. When the time came for me to get on the D-floor (and I was there, plimsolls on, ready to go) I was far more analytical and physically focused on my moments then I am normally. (As my standard is to get on, let go and then flop, spent, in a corner.)

Resisting the tangent of talking about physical focus as much as possible, I think that because I hadn't just let go as usual, it's saved me some of the swungover pain today.

I do also like the sensation of knowing I danced my little socks off. Waking up and aching as i roll over to find my bloody phone and press the bloody snooze button. That's the first sign. Feeling stiff as I get out of bed. While I wait for the kettle to boil I do little stretches, and test out where the main aches are... today I also have a whinging neck from where I clearly slept on it funny. And aching knees from breaking in some new Keds pumps and having residual aches from my fading bruises (I was pleased i took my suedes with me last night but they are borderline FUBAR)... and slightly aching legs from my first adventure with a Boris Bike... but that general wooden feeling of slowness and thirst; classic swungover.

I know Keith had a little whinge about it but I generally think it's a good thing. I chose to do these things. I would much rather have this from choice instead of, say, being beaten with a stick to dubstep music. And let's not forget the post-dance high you get from a reallllly good night. I had such a good night on Thursday that I was in a brilliant mood for ALL of Friday and Saturday. I have decided to call this the Dafterglow.

You're welcome. Use it. Let's give it some currency!

So, how does one remedy being swungover? Taking the next day off! (Or, at least, taking it easy)... Drink plenty of fluids, and eat some bananas. Try and avoid heavy foods and any artificial stimulants. Oh alright, you'll need the tea/coffee in the morning, but don't drink any in the evening if at all possible- you want to have a nice natural sleep so your body can catch up with itself. And while we're on the subject, why not try getting an early night? (she says, fully aware that she rarely takes that option....)

I also give my ears a break from the usual and dive into a bug pile of rock, hip hop and soul. Ahhh.

Any hints or tips you'd care to share, chaps?

1 comment:

  1. My one time favourite remedy, especially for weekenders with lots of classes: Magnesium oil!

    Magnesium oil (MagOil) is actually not an oil, just 30% concentrated MgCl2 (Magnesium Chloride) in water. But the stuff has an oily consistentcy between your fingers, hence the name.
    But why MagOil? Magnesium is involved as a co-factor in more than 300 enzymes in the mammalian body. That includes every part of our body and also importantly our liver which is the main organ for metabolism and detoxification in our body. So having all our enzymes work is important when you stress your body with lots of exercise (i.e. dancing) + the odd alcoholic drink and fast food escapade.
    Furthermore many will know you can take Magnesium if you have cramps. Magnesium reduces the excitability of nerves and hence alleviates the symptoms.
    I find I always tend to have lots of cramps in my legs when I go to weekenders, not so much when I am just socially dancing on the weekends.

    Why not take your normal Magnesium tablets then instead of MagOil?
    Two main reasons:
    1. The uptake of topically applied Magnesium (i.e. the skin) is way better than if you take it orally. Also in hindsight of a disfunctional gut this can be important. If you have a damaged/unhealthy gut lining and/or the microbiota the uptake of Magnesium can be badly diminished and you can eat a kilo of Magnesium and still don't get enough into your system. Topically applied Mag circumvents this
    2. Another advantage is that you can apply MagOil targeted to muscle region where you feel the spasms.

    MagOil is actually very inexpensive and can be found on the web easily. Just make sure it is made from pure salt mined from the Zechstein mines. You can buy it in a 30% concentrated solution and also in a light version with 15%. Some people experience a burning sensation when they apply the 30% solution, hence they made the light version. 100ml is around 10GBP and that lasts a good time depending on usage.

    There is several ways to apply it:
    What I normally do for weekenders. Once I come home, I put it all over my legs and also in the hollows of my knees and the arm bend (skin is less thick here and uptake is better) and then go to bed. Some people don't like this because it either starts to itch or they don't want to mess up their bed linens.
    What you can do is here, apply the MagOil, leave it on for 20-30min (put a towel on your couch/bed and read a book) and then have a shower.
    A spray of transdermal MagOil equals roughly 15mg of Magnesium, so you don't need a lot. Also the "oil" distributes very good and takes ages to seep into the skin.

    Good luck,

    Pat

    ReplyDelete